Modern Slavery & Human Trafficking Statement 2020
About Comfy Quilts Ltd
Comfy Quilts Ltd was founded in 1973 and has grown to be one of the UK’s largest manufacturers of filled bedding products in the UK. Comfy Quilts Ltd manufacture and distribute duvets, pillows, protectors and mattress toppers as well as supply bed linen, nursery products and towels to the nation’s biggest retailers, working alongside some of the biggest names in bedding such as Silentnight, Rest Assured, Sealy and Jeff Banks as well as its own Brands. We pride ourselves in the quality of our products and the service we offer. Employing over 400 people across four sites in Manchester, our team are passionate about what we do and value every person who plays their part in making our business so successful.
We are committed to long lasting improvements to employee conditions and work environments in both our own facilities and that of our suppliers. Comfy Quilts Ltd is committed to the principles of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 and the abolition of modern slavery and human trafficking. We aim to provide an ethical and respectful work environment for all our employees.
Our Commitment to the Principles of the Modern Slavery Act 2015
Comfy Quilts Ltd supports Stronger Together, a multi-stakeholder initiative aimed at reducing modern slavery, particularly in the labour supply chain. This statement demonstrates our actions and activities to underpin our commitment to tackling Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking during the financial year 1st February 2019 to 31st January 2020.
Comfy Quilts Ltd maintains the following policies.
- Equal Opportunities Policy
- Human Rights Policy
- Whistleblowing Policy
- Diversity & Inclusion Policy
- Harassment, Victimisation & Bullying Policy
Our Supply Chain
We are committed to responsibly sourcing raw materials and finished products through our UK and International supply chain.
Suppliers – all suppliers are subject to SMETA audits annually to demonstrate ethical compliance.
Labour Providers The organisation uses only specified, reputable employment agencies to source labour and always verifies the ethical practices of any new agency it is using before accepting workers from that agency.
Embedding the Principles
Over the past 12 months, Comfy Quilts Ltd have undertaken the following activities:
- made employees aware of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 and informed them of appropriate action to take if they suspect a case of slavery or human trafficking.
- audited our on-site labour providers at least every 12 months using the Stronger Together methodology.
- included Modern Slavery awareness in employee inductions for all employees as well as temporary workers employed via on-site labour providers.
- displayed ETI code of conduct and helpline numbers on notice boards and in our employee newsletter.
- Comfy Quilts Ltd recruitment process is designed to ensure that all prospective employees are legally entitled to work in the UK before they commence employment.
- put a Whistleblowing Policy in place to safeguard our employees from any abuse or coercion, once in our employment.
Comfy Quilts Ltd has raised awareness of modern slavery issues by putting up posters across the organisation's premises and articles in our monthly newsletter, explaining to employees:
- the ETI code of conduct.
- the basic principles of the Modern Slavery Act 2015;
- what employees can do to flag up potential slavery or human trafficking issues to the relevant parties within the organisation; and
- what external help is available, for example through the Modern Slavery Helpline.
During 2020 to 2021, Comfy Quilts Ltd will undertake the following activities:
- Display the modern slavery helpline on internal communications including our monthly newsletter.
- Raise awareness of modern slavery by publishing all relevant policies on the Comfy Group intranet.
- Continue to operate a confidential employee assistance helpline for confidential support.
- Encourage employees to report concerns and where applicable, contact the relevant authorities.
- Employees who report concerns will be taken seriously and receive full protection under the Whistleblowing Policy.
- Maintain a log of ethical audits for potential and existing suppliers before they enter the supply chain.
- Continue to include modern slavery awareness during induction, including information on what external help is available, for example through the Modern Slavery Helpline, Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority and "Stronger together" initiative.
Comfy Quilts Ltd have released this statement so our business partners, employees and customers can be confident in our approach to upholding our human rights and tackling modern day slavery and adhering to the Modern Slavery Act 2015.
This statement is made pursuant to section 54(1) of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 and constitutes our slavery and human trafficking statement for the financial year end 31st January 2019. It is approved by the Directors of Comfy Quilts Ltd, who review and update it annually.