Modern Slavery & Human Trafficking Statement 2018
About Comfy Quilts Ltd
Comfy Quilts was founded in 1973 and has grown to be one of the UK’s largest manufacturers of filled bedding products in the UK. Comfy Quilts manufacture and distribute duvets, pillows, protectors and mattress toppers as well as supply bed linen, nursery products and towels to the nation’s biggest retailers, working alongside some of the biggest names in bedding such as Silentnight, Rest Assured, Sealy and Jeff Banks as well as its own Brands. We pride ourselves in the quality of our products and the service we offer. Employing over 400 people across four sites in Manchester, our team are passionate about what we do and value every person who plays their part in making our business so successful.
We are committed to long lasting improvements to employee conditions and work environments in both our own facilities and that of our suppliers. Comfy Quilts is committed to the principles of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 and the abolition of modern slavery and human trafficking. We aim to provide an ethical and respectful work environment for all our employees.
Our Commitment to the Principles of the Modern Slavery Act 2015
This statement demonstrates our actions and activities to underpin our commitment to tackling Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking during the financial year 1st February 2017 to 31st January 2018.
Comfy Quilts maintains the following policies.
- Human Rights Policy
- Whistleblowing Policy
- Diversity & Inclusion Policy
- Harassment, Victimisation & Bullying Policy
Our Supply Chain
We are committed to responsibly sourcing raw materials and finished products through our UK and International supply chain.
Suppliers – all suppliers are subject to SMETA audits annually to demonstrate ethical compliance.
Labour Providers The organisation uses only specified, reputable employment agencies to source labour and always verifies the ethical practices of any new agency it is using before accepting workers from that agency.
Embedding the Principles
Over the past 12 months, Comfy Quilts Ltd have undertaken the following activities:
- made employees aware of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 and informed them of appropriate action to take if they suspect a case of slavery or human trafficking.
- audited our on-site labour providers at least every 12 months using the Stronger Together methodology.
- included Modern Slavery awareness in employee inductions for all employees as well as temporary workers employed via on-site labour providers.
- displayed ETI code of conduct and helpline numbers on notice boards.
- Comfy Quilts recruitment process is designed to ensure that all prospective employees are legally entitled to work in the UK before they commence employment.
- put a Whistleblowing Policy in place to safeguard our employees from any abuse or coercion, once in our employment.
The organisation has raised awareness of modern slavery issues by putting up posters across the organisation's premises and articles in our monthly newsletter, explaining to employees:
- the ETI code of conduct.
- the basic principles of the Modern Slavery Act 2015;
- what employees can do to flag up potential slavery or human trafficking issues to the relevant parties within the organisation; and
- what external help is available, for example through the Modern Slavery Helpline.
During 2018 to 2019, Comfy Quilts Ltd will undertake the following activities:
- ensure all employees in HR have completed Stronger Together training on modern slavery.
- maintain a log of ethical audits for potential and existing suppliers before they enter the supply chain.
- include modern slavery training as a module on our e-learning safety hub, to include how to identify the signs of slavery and human trafficking, how to escalate potential slavery or human trafficking issues to the relevant parties within the organisation and what external help is available, for example through the Modern Slavery Helpline, Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority and "Stronger together" initiative;
Comfy Quilts have released this statement so our business partners, employees and customers can be confident in our approach to upholding our human rights and tackling modern day slavery and adhering to the Modern Slavery Act 2015.
This statement is made pursuant to section 54(1) of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 and constitutes our slavery and human trafficking statement for the financial year end 31st January 2018. It is approved by the Directors of Comfy Quilts Ltd, who review and update it annually.